Thursday, July 03, 2008

High Fidelity

I am three books behind in updating this blog, but instead of writing, or reading, I am going through Hornby's High Fidelity, looking for song references, and adding them to an iTunes playlist. Doing so, I ran across this bit, definitely in my top five best bits in the book:


    "What did you tell her about the shop for?" I ask the others.
    "I didn't know it was classified information," says Barry. "I mean, I know we don't have any customers, but I thought that was a bad thing, not, like, a business strategy."
    "She won't spend any money."
    "No, of course not. That's why she was asking if we knew any good record shops. She just wants to come in and waste our time."


I think this next one is, too, though it's not funny outside of context. So go read the book, will you?


    "Since when did this shop become a fascist regime?"
    "Since you brought that terrible tape in."
    


Playlist so far:

Got to Get You off My Mind, Solomon Burke
Sin City, The Flying Burrito Brothers
Baby, Let's Play House, Elvis Presley
Think, Aretha Franklin
Louie Louie, The Kingsmen
Little Red Corvette, Prince
Stir It Up, Bob Marley & the Wailers
Angel, Aretha Franklin
Papa's Got a Brand New Bag (Pt. 1), James Brown
Family Affair, Sly & The Family Stone
Let's Get It On, Marvin Gaye
The House That Jack Built, Aretha Franklin
Back in the U.S.A., Chuck Berry
(White Man) in Hammersmith Palais, The Clash
Tired of Being Alone, Al Green
Holiday, Madonna
The Ghetto, Donny Hathaway
Free Nelson Mandela, Special A.K.A.

Bought (from Amazon mp3) specifically for this list: "Sin City", "Family Affair", and "Tired of Being Alone".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home