Friday, April 14, 2006

State of the Nation

First, the inevitable:

The Find of a Lifetime: Sir Arthur Evans and the Discovery of Knossos, Sylvia L. Horwitz. Bought in a moment of weakness at the used bookshop on Castro in Mountain View, after a not-so-very-successful pearl-milk-tea-and-a-chat date.
Persuasion, Jane Austen. From Amazon.


Currently actively reading:

How to Read Egyptian Hieroglyphs, Collier & Manley. I've browsed it before, but I never really bothered to study it carefully. Before I tackle Gardiner or Graefe, I should review all I've forgotten.


Should really be reading:

Introduction to Automata Theory, Languages, and Computation, Hopcroft, Motwani, Ullman. But I'd rather not.


Would like to be able to say I'm reading:

Knuth volume 3.


Somewhere near the top of the pile of kinda-working-on-it:

Power, Bertrand Russell.
Persuasion, Austen


Very, very far down that same pile:

The Little Schemer, Friedman & Felleisen.
The Story of Decipherment, Pope
In Code: A Young Woman's Mathematical Journey, Flannery
Introduction to Quantum Computers, Berman, Doolen, Mainieri, & Tsifrinovich.
VSI: The Vikings
VSI: The Crusades
The Telephone Booth Indian, Liebling
The New Well-Tempered Sentence, Gordon
and many, many others, just as worthy.


Read: 6
Acquired: 15

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home