Saturday, May 28, 2022

2022, book 7: The furthest goal: Engelbert Kaempfer's encounter with Tokugawa Japan, edited by Beatrice M. Bodart-Bailey & Derek Massarella

Uneven collection of papers given at a 1990 symposium on Kaempfer and his trip to Japan.

Most interesting bits: the chapter on Imamura Genemon Eisei, the mentions of the Republic of Letters, comparisons of Kaempfer's sketches with the published etchings, and this amusing complaint from Hokusai (pp 136):

I suggest that the engraver should add no lower eyelids where I did not draw them. As to the noses: these are my noses [he drew two examples] and the noses usually engraved are the noses of Toyokuni, which I do not like at all and which are contrary to the laws of the art of drawing. It is also the fashion to draw the eyes like this [a black point in the centre], but such eyes I like no more than the noses

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home